NUTRITION TIPS FOR ATHLETES
BY PATRICK BEITH
* Do not skip meals
* Eat 4-5 meals a day
* Eat breakfast everyday
* Eat most of your vegetables and fruit in raw form
* Try and eat all the colors in the crayon box (fruits & vegetables)
* Sufficient protein should be present in all meals (especially breakfast) to prevent extreme insulin fluctuations due to rapid digestion of carbohydrates
* Highly processed foods (such as sugars, oils, and flour) should be avoided in excess. They are not recognized by the body and make them difficult to process.
* Design your diet so that you receive a complete mix of all the nutrients everyday to promote recovery and restoration and to enhance your immune system function.
* Post workout nutrition can drastically reduce the time needed to recover.
* The body is much more efficient in restoring carbohydrates 15 minutes after a strenuous workout. Carbohydrates are the primary fuel during exercise – needs to be restored by the body.
* Post workout drink: 1 gram of protein for every 3 grams of carbohydrate. (.3gm of protein/lb. of lean body weight)
* Drink approximately 64 oz. (8 glasses) of water daily. Bring a water bottle with you everywhere (especially practice).
EATING FOR MAXIMAL STRENGTH, HEALTH, ENERGY AND MUSCLE
MAXIMIZING STRENGTH GAINS
AND PEAK PERFORMANCE
FACTS ON FIBER
GUIDE TO NUTRITION
NO MORE EXCUSES
BACK TO SPORTS NUTRITION EDUCATION
Athletes' Acceleration, founded by Latif Thomas and Patrick Beith, combines over 25 years of athletic and coaching experience to bring you the very best in speed development, strength and conditioning programs for coaches and athletes. Get the FREE Complete Speed Training Newsletter now at http://www.athletesacceleration.com.